New Rower Training
(next 6-week class begins 3/12/19)
TRC will hold a Learn-to-Row (LTR) day on Saturday, March 2, 2019 in the recreation area at Alfred B. Maclay Gardens State Park. During the four-hour introductory session (8:00 AM until Noon), we explain many aspects of rowing and the various boats, provide coached guidance on an indoor rowing machine, and may actually provide an on-water experience. The cost for the LTR session is $25.
Then on March 12th, we'll begin our first New Rower Training (NRT) class of 2019. The class will last for six weeks (12 sessions), meeting on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM. The first three classes will be on indoor rowing machines. These classes will take place at the Maclay School erg room, located just inside the Maclay Boulevard entrance to Maclay School (immediately on the right). The remaining classes will be on-the-water at Lake Hall in Maclay Gardens State Park, though we return to the erg room if rained out.
The physical requirements to participate are:
- That you be 19 years old or older,
- That you be a reasonable swimmer (we will have a short swim test during the first class at the lake),
- That you can walk at a brisk pace for at least 20 minutes without getting winded,
- And that you can lift 35 pounds overhead.
Costs associated with the training include:
- $165 payable to Tallahassee Rowing Club. This covers the training, six weeks associate club membership (this does not allow use of club equipment outside of these scheduled classes), and fees to use the Maclay erg room. If you attend the LTR on March 2nd, your $25 will be credited toward this class.
- Daily entry fees to Maclay Gardens State Park on the days of on-the-water training. If you have a State of Florida State Parks pass (available at the gate of any State Park) there is no additional charge for entry. If you don’t have a park pass, consider purchasing one or let the gate Ranger know you are coming to row (the charge is about $4).
Participants will for the LTR session or the NRT class will need to complete and return a TRC waiver (see link below). The waiver should be sent with your LTR fee ($25) or NRT fee ($165) to the address below. The NRT registration fee is fully refundable if the class is not held for any reason.
All training sessions begin at 6:00 PM, and last one and a half to two hours. Participants should wear appropriate training attire, which includes tight fitting shorts (preferably Spandex, Lycra, or a similar material), a breathable T-shirt, a cap or sun visor, athletic socks, and athletic shoes. Participants should also bring sun screen for on-the-water sessions, and bottled water or sports drinks to every session. For the first on-water session there will be a swim test (wear a swim suit under your exercise cloths).
Classes require a minimum of 8 participants, and we can handle up to 18. Bill Hudgens and I (Jay Newton) will be your coaches. Sophie Wu Newton will be your head coxswain.
You can pay for the Learn-to-Row and/or New Rower Training Class via PayPal, or by check. If you pay by PayPal, please complete the waiver and bring it with you to the first class. If you pay by check, please send it and your completed waiver to the to the following address.
Tallahassee Rowing Club
New Rower Training Program
1400 Village Square Boulevard
Tallahassee, FL 32312
If you have any questions, please email me at email@example.com.
Next Class Signup (18 max): Click here to go to sign-up page
Please complete the attached waiver (click here) and bring with you to class.
(Contact the Coach for early enrollment or more information)