Spring 2018 New Rower Training Begins March 13th
We're happy to announce our next new rower training classes will begin soon! Enroll early by sending your fee and waiver, so your seat is guaranteed.
The new rower training program will begin March 13th, and last for six weeks. Classes will meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM. The first three classes will be on indoor rowing machines. These classes will take place at the Maclay School erg room, located just inside the Maclay Boulevard entrance to Maclay School (immediately on the right). The remaining classes will be on-the-water at Lake Hall in Maclay Gardens State Park, but if rained out we’ll return to the erg room.
The physical requirements to participate are:
- That you be 19 years old or older,
- That you be a reasonable swimmer (we will have a short swim test on 3/20),
- That you can walk at a brisk pace for at least 20 minutes without getting winded,
- And that you can lift 35 pounds overhead.
- $165 payable to Tallahassee Rowing Club. This covers the training, six weeks associate club membership (this does not allow use of club equipment outside of these scheduled classes), and fees to use the Maclay erg room.
- Daily entry fees to Maclay Gardens State Park on the days of on-the-water training. If you have a State of Florida State Parks pass (available at the gate of any State Park), there is no additional charge for entry. If you don’t have a park pass, consider purchasing one or let the gate Ranger know you are coming to row (the charge is less than visiting to see the Gardens).
Participants will also need to complete and return a TRC waiver (see link below).
All training sessions will begin at 6:00 PM, and last one and a half to two hours. Participants should wear appropriate training attire, which includes tight fitting shorts (preferably Spandex, Lycra, or a similar material), a breathable T-shirt, a cap or sun visor, athletic socks, and athletic shoes. Participants should also bring sun screen for on-the-water sessions, and bottled water or sports drinks to every session. For the first on-water session there will be a swim test (wear a swim suit under your exercise cloths).
We will be filling the class in 2 crews, with a maximum of 18 participants. Bill Hudgens and I (Jay Newton) will be your coaches. Sophie Wu Newton will be your head coxswain, and we will enlist another cox if we fill the second 9 person crew.
Have you ever seen the cartoon of a boat rowing in circles? Well we know that missing rowers cause it. While we will row an 8 person boat, we must have at least 9 confirmed participants to hold this training (expecting each participant to come to at least 75% of the classes) The first 9 registrations received get the first 9 spots. If we receive more than 9 registrations, we will begin filling the next 8 seats and 1 spare, but must again fill all 9 to include that crew.
We cannot hold seats if not paid in advance before the first day of class. The registration fee is fully refundable if the class is not held, or if we do not fill all spots in your crew. The fee becomes non-refundable after the second session on 3/15.
To confirm participation, you MUST send the registration fee and a completed waiver to the address below by March 8th. Checks should be made payable to Tallahassee Rowing Club or TRC and sent to:
Tallahassee Rowing Club
New Rower Training Program
1455 Lloyds Cove Road
Tallahassee, FL 32312
If you have any questions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Next Class Signup (18 max): Click here to go to sign-up page
(Contact the Coach for early enrollment or more information)