New Rower Training Begins August 22nd, 2017
We're happy to announce our next new rower training classes will begin soon! Enroll early by sending your fee and waiver, so your seat is guaranteed.
The new rower training program will take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays, beginning on August 22nd and last for six weeks. The first three classes (8/22, 8/24 & 8/29) will be on indoor rowing machines. These classes will take place at the Maclay School erg room, located just inside the Maclay Boulevard entrance to Maclay School (immediately on the right). The remaining classes will be on-the-water, and take place at Lake Hall in Maclay Gardens State Park (when rained out we’ll return to the erg room).
The physical requirements to participate are:
- That you be 19 years old or older
- That you be a reasonable swimmer (we will have a short swim test on 8/31),
- That you can walk at a brisk pace for at least 20 minutes without getting winded,
- And that you can lift 35 pounds overhead.
- $150 payable to Tallahassee Rowing Club. This covers the training, six weeks associate club membership (this does not allow use of club equipment outside of these scheduled classes), and fees to use the Maclay erg room. If you paid $25 to attend the Learn-to-Row on June 24, 2017, you get credit for that $25 and need only pay the remaining $125.
- Daily entry fees to Maclay Gardens State Park on the days of on-the-water training. If you have a State of Florida State Parks pass (available at the gate of any State Park), there is no additional charge for entry. If you don’t have a park pass, let the gate Ranger know you are coming to row (the charge is less than visiting to see the Gardens).
All training sessions will begin at 6:00 PM, and last one and a half to two hours. Participants should wear appropriate training attire, which includes tight fitting shorts (preferably Spandex, Lycra, or a similar material), a breathable T-shirt, a cap or sun visor, athletic socks, and athletic shoes. Participants should also bring sun screen for on-the-water sessions, and bottled water or sports drinks to every session. For the session on 8/31, you should plan on wearing a swim suit under your exercise togs.
We will be filling the class in crews of 10, with a maximum of 20 participants. Bill Hudgens and I (Jay Newton) will be your coaches. Sophie Wu Newton will be your head coxswain, and we will enlist another cox if we fill the second 10 person crew.
Have you ever seen the cartoon of a boat rowing in circles? Well we know what causes it, and because of that we must have at least ten confirmed participants to hold this training (the first ten registrations received get the first ten seats). If we receive more than ten registrations, we will begin filling the next ten seats, but must again fill all ten to include that crew. We cannot hold seats if not paid in advance by August 15th.
The registration fee is fully refundable if the class is not held, or if we do not fill all ten seats in your crew. Once seated and training has begun, the fee becomes non-refundable after the second session on 8/24. To confirm participation, you MUST send the registration fee and a completed waiver to the address below by August 15th. Checks should be made payable to Tallahassee Rowing Club or TRC and sent to:
Tallahassee Rowing Club
New Rower Training Program
1455 Lloyds Cove Road
Tallahassee, FL 32312
If you have any questions, please email me at email@example.com.
Next Class Signup (20 max): Click here to go to sign-up page
(Contact the Coach for early enrollment or more information)