New Rower Training
We hold new rower training classes periodically, based upon the number of interested new rowers. It takes eight 're happy to announce our next new rower training classes will begin soon! Enroll early by sending your fee and waiver, so your seat is guaranteed.
When held, the new rower training program last for six weeks, meeting on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM. The first three classes are indoor on rowing machines. These classes take place at the Maclay School erg room, located just inside the Maclay Boulevard entrance to Maclay School (immediately on the right). The remaining classes will be on-the-water at Lake Hall in Maclay Gardens State Park, though we return to the erg room if rained.
The physical requirements to participate are:
- That you be 19 years old or older,
- That you be a reasonable swimmer (we will have a short swim test during the first class at the lake),
- That you can walk at a brisk pace for at least 20 minutes without getting winded,
- And that you can lift 35 pounds overhead.
- $165 payable to Tallahassee Rowing Club. This covers the training, six weeks associate club membership (this does not allow use of club equipment outside of these scheduled classes), and fees to use the Maclay erg room.
- Daily entry fees to Maclay Gardens State Park on the days of on-the-water training. If you have a State of Florida State Parks pass (available at the gate of any State Park) there is no additional charge for entry. If you don’t have a park pass, consider purchasing one or let the gate Ranger know you are coming to row (the charge is less than visiting to see the Gardens).
Participants will also need to complete and return a TRC waiver (see link below). The waiver should be sent to the new rower program address below (not the address on the waiver form).
All training sessions begin at 6:00 PM, and last one and a half to two hours. Participants should wear appropriate training attire, which includes tight fitting shorts (preferably Spandex, Lycra, or a similar material), a breathable T-shirt, a cap or sun visor, athletic socks, and athletic shoes. Participants should also bring sun screen for on-the-water sessions, and bottled water or sports drinks to every session. For the first on-water session there will be a swim test (wear a swim suit under your exercise cloths).
Classes require a minimum of 8 participants, and we can handle up to 18. Bill Hudgens and I (Jay Newton) will be your coaches. Sophie Wu Newton will be your head coxswain.
We'll tentatively schedule a class when we accumulate indications of interest from 8+ people. Once the registration fee is received from at least 8, we'll confirm the start date to the participants. The registration fee is fully refundable if the class is not held for any reason.
Checks should be made payable to Tallahassee Rowing Club or TRC, and sent with a completed waiver to:
Tallahassee Rowing Club
New Rower Training Program
1455 Lloyds Cove Road
Tallahassee, FL 32312
If you have any questions, please email me at email@example.com.
Next Class Signup (18 max): Click here to go to sign-up page
(Contact the Coach for early enrollment or more information)